Here are some helpful tips and information.
We are located at:
6975 Ridge Road
Map & Directions.
Hours and days:
- We are open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays from 12 noon until 4pm, May through October. Free Admission.
- See our events list for event hours and days.
- We hold a Farmers Market on Saturdays, June through October 9am- 1pm.
- On opening day in May we usually feature a demonstration of our sheep being sheared.
- You can stay as long as you like! There is a lot to see and do around here!
Phone us at:
- General number: 440.845.9770
- Museum Tours: 440.845.5522
- Cabin Rental: 440.845.9770
- Barnyard & School Tours: 216-310-5496 email Stearns Homestead@gmail.com Fee $3 per person
We have a large parking area to the south of the homestead and a very limited area in front of the barn – on the main drive- which we reserve for handicap parking only.
- Upon request, we do tours for school groups (advanced reservations are a must) and also some private tours.
- Our youth group members are always on hand to teach facts about the animals and tell of their experiences caring for their project animals
- If you wish to tour the two museums, there are tour guides on hand to take you through each house.
- The animal caretakers are all volunteer staff who take great pride in the animals at the homestead and at least one is always on hand to answer questions about the animals and even tell some of the stories of how we acquired them.
Safety issues for you and for our animals:
- We have wild Canadian geese at the acre pond, so make sure children feed them carefully. Geese can bite.
- Make sure to feed animals only with the food that we sell. Feed is sold in front of the yankee barn.
- We are wheelchair accessible to the general store and cabin area and to some extent the barnyard area – the historical houses are not wheelchair accessible.
- We also provide hand sanitizer at various locations throughout the homestead.
Food & Beverages:
When an event is held, there are hot dogs and hamburgers sold as well as slushies sold by the youth group. On regular weekends, the general store is the place to purchase old fashioned candy, pop, water and ice cream.
There are lots of family friendly restaurants nearby!
What to wear:
- Casual clothing with flat heels is advised
- Closed toed shoes are also recommended
Photos may be taken of the animals. If you forget your camera at home, we always have them for sale at our general store.
The city provides portable outhouses that are cleaned weekly by the company that supplies them.
Admission is always FREE at Stearns Homestead.