The Homestead sponsors a 4H youth group which was started to educate the youth of our area about the history and agriculture as well as what it was like to live on a farm and care for the animals.
Members are required to come to the homestead a minimum of three days a week to care for the animal assigned to them. They learn nutrition, grooming and facts about that particular animal throughout the year.
The club begins in March and runs through November with a monthly meeting at the Homestead. In addition, the club participates in many community events and volunteers time during the Homestead events.
Requirements are as follows:
- Participant must be 8 years of age by January 1st of the application year.
- Participant are required to come to the Homestead and care for their animal a minimum of three times per week – no exception.
- Members must also participate in Homestead events, fundraising and community service projects.
- A first year fee of $25.00 is required.
- Each member is given a t-shirt and project book to track the animal’s care.
- An additional $10.00 yearly membership fee is required for a family to join PAHS. No other fees are required unless participant changes animal selection in next year; then a new book is required.
- Animals are assigned according to the ability of the participant and availability.
- Orientation meetings for open enrollment will be held on annually in February in the Homestead cabin.
- Participants may not belong to another club or organization which competes with other Homestead programs.
For further information, contact PAHS:
- E-mail: StearnsHomestead@gmail.com